Barley Salad

barley, rocket and red cabbage salad served with healthy chicken brochettes.

So healthy, so easy, I make this with the barley left over from my homemade lemon barley water.

2 ½ cups cooked whole barley
¼ head red cabbage
Bunch of fresh rocket
2 teaspoons of capers

Dressing

¼ cup fresh lemon juice (about 1.5 lemons)
¼ cup olive oil
2 garlic cloves
½ tsp Dijon mustard
1 tbs chopped fresh dill (or 1.5 tsp dried)
pinch salt
freshly ground black pepper to taste

* I use whatever is to hand to make this salad and this version uses rocket form my garden and a bit of red cabbage I had left over. Other nice things to include are green beans, red or yellow peppers, button mushrooms, walnuts, tomatoes, just add whatever looks good to the barley and dressing.

Whisk all the dressing ingredients together. Finely slice and chop the cabbage, then roughly chop the rocket. Mix together in a bowl with the barley, sprinkle over the capers, dress and serve.

I have served it here with my healthy chicken brochettes.

No comments:

Post a Comment