Lemon and Ginger Barley Water

Homemade lemon and ginger barley water, so easy to make and so good for you.
My Husband was knocked down with a nasty and rare auto-immune disease last year. It led to kidney disease and some permanent damage to his kidneys. It was pretty scary. When he was ill, he was on a lot of medication, and I did what I could to give holistic nourishment though his diet. I read a lot about the benefits of barley at the time, and started making barley water.

Most of us know barley water,as that yellow, sugary cordial bought at the supermarket, but it is a traditional drink that has been enjoyed for its health giving properties since ancient Egypt, and it's really easy to make. It helps to support and nourish the kidneys in times of stress and is an important part of any kidney cleansing program, which will produce tremendous overall benefits. It is also said to clear the complexion and stop the formation of wrinkles (that got me hooked!), aid digestion and soothe inflammation of the stomach.  It can be helpful in the treatment of cystitis and a good way to control Urinary Tract Infection during pregnancy. Give me a glass now!

I still make my barley water brews every couple of days and have even got the kids drinking it. Now that you've read what it can do for you, you’ll be wanting your 2 cups a day too!

It’s quite delicious, and like me you will no-doubt tinker with this recipe to create your own tasty brew (try adding cinnamon, cardamom, cloves or orange to the recipe to taste).

My basic recipe is this:
§         1 x cup whole grain organic barley (don’t use pearl barley as most of it’s goodness has been removed along with the husk)
§         2.5 x liters water
§         Juice of 2 lemons (and the zest of 1)
§         4 x tbs honey
§         1 x 2cm knob of ginger (peeled and cut into 4)

Put the barley into a sauce pan with the ginger. Bring it to a boil, then reduce the heat and keep on a low rolling boil for 40 minutes.

Put a sieve over a large bowl containing the lemon juice and honey. Strain the barley broth through the sieve, stir the mixture to incorporate the honey and lemon juice and let it cool before bottling it.

Don’t throw away the precious grains of barely you can use them to make a delicious salad, or add them to a soup or casserole.

4 comments:

  1. I have visions of wearing my undies on the outside and leaping from the second floor window ledge - secretly - so no-one clocks that I am, in fact, barley man. Able to fart fruitily on all who defy me..

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm wondering what the sugar content is for barley? I always thought of this in terms of cordial which is really sweet and sugary but this sounds super healthy.

    I sincerely hope parp-man's feet never leave the ground ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have not noticed a gaseuese problem from drinking the water, so fear not... The sugar content is low, it's not super sweet and I do add extra honey when giving to the kids. It has a taste you do aquire, its a bit like tea...especially if you add somespices like cinnamon or cardamom - rather chai like then. I love it now LOVE!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I couldn't find whole grain barley at the supermarche, but will try to local health food shop and let you know how it goes!

    ReplyDelete